London SE1 community website

bermondsey street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 3 December 2002 11.27am
Hi all

I am an Architectural student studying for my diploma.

I have a design project located on Bermondsey Street

(The little bit of park on the corner of Tanner Street and Bermondsey street- I stress this is only an academic project NOT a real development)

The brief is to provide a new "work place" which also acts as a "gate" to the larger park (the two pieces of park being separated by Alan camp architects offices)

I was hoping that you guys might be able to give me a better insight in to the area.

What you like about Bermondsey Street?
Places you like on Bermondsey Street?
What you do there - live, work, play?
How you feel about Bermondsey Street and the park?
Why you live, work, play there?

Anything you can think of to give me a better understanding of the area.
I believe an architectural response should be sensitive to its locality, culturally and environmentally.

I would much appreciate any information you could provide.

Stuart
Anonymous User
Friday 6 December 2002 1.39pm
Stuart,

I'm a qualified architect living in the area.

I find it a little strange you have chosen a park to develop, even as a hypothetical scheme.

There are still many derelict / brownfield sites in the area, or under-used sites (garages between council blocks for example) that have potential, but there is actually relatively little open 'green' space.

Bermondsey Street is 'on its way' already - it's the blocks South of Long Lane where the development challenges lie.

The things that are woefully missing in the area are:

a 'normal' quality supermarket like Tesco Metro or Sainsbury's Local

a cinema - an art house style with a bar like the Ritzy in Brixton

a nice bar where you can get a bite to eat - e.g like All Bar One for e.g.

a nice place to have a cup of coffee and a pastry - even Starbucks would be a start!

If you compare London with a city like Barcelona, one striking difference is that in Spain, housing and offices always have some form of commercial operation at street level - a bar,a shop, a chemists etc.

I firmly believe this is one of the 'intangible' elements that make it such a popular city with open-minded Londoners.

Good luck with your project

Max
Friday 6 December 2002 2.42pm
Thanks Max

i know that the brief may seem a little odd, transforming a park space in to a building and i too agree that something like a brown-field or infill site would have been perhaps more intresting.
the brief was proposed by the university and is actually for a "workplace", this i think is one thing bermondsey street does not need many(if any) more of, having seen some of the "live/work" units being developed in the area.
i do feel that this particular "green" corner provides relief from the street hugging facade of the rest of bermondsey street.

Thank you again for you comments
I look forward to hearing others

Stu
Friday 6 December 2002 3.27pm
Great points made here, especially the Picture House suggestion.

Proposed developement of 100- 140 Union Street for 20+ story residential with ground floor retail plus 6 story office and 30+ parking spots - might mean a 'local' supermart in the ground floor.

Has anyone seen this proposal, anyone have views - in many ways great to have a local supermarket if that's what's going there - but I'm not sure about 20+ tower and increased traffic down Union Street.
Friday 6 December 2002 4.37pm

I have seen the plans for this. I think the council will like it as (if I recall correctly) it has a big chunk o' affordable housing. I personally don't like it - the previous comments about Barcelona ring true here - it is well out of scale with the rest of the street and will stand out like a sore thumb.

Even New York (much liked by ken) famed for its skyscrapers, is in the vast majority, 4-8 story with plenty of street level stuff (as barcelona).

Without being a clairvoyant I know what the developers will have in mind here - xx apartments with a restaurant at ground floor (possibly a Starbucks too)... (groan).
Tuesday 10 December 2002 12.43pm
Where did you see the plans - are they on-line at all do you know?

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions