London SE1 community website

tea vs coffee

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 1 February 2009 2.59am
Which do you prefer? I noticed there are a lot more coffee shops than tea shops, and it sparked my interest.

I am not from UK originally, and one of the first things I learned about England was the 5 o'clock tea tradition.

I don't see many people going out for a cup of tea these days though, everyone seems to want to meet up for a coffee instead.

Given the choice between a tea shop and a coffee shop, which would you go to and why?
Sunday 1 February 2009 10.21am
Good question! I've often thought it strange that we are known as a nation that runs on tea yet apart from in the West Country ~(cream teas) and the likes of the Ritz or Fortnums, tea is not really celebrated at all. Coffee, on the other hand...

I only really thought about it last September when I was in Buenos Aires. We found the most amazing tea bar - a paean to all things tea. It was really serious stuff; about fifty different types of tea and all described in loving detail on the menu. They also served breakfasts and light lunches. I remember thinking what a great idea and why is there not something similar in London.

Having said that, if there is, I'm sure one of you will set me right.
Zoe
Sunday 1 February 2009 11.43am
I love tea at 5pm, and pretty much at any other time. I find it annoying when I go to France and can't go to a cafe and get tea, because it's the wrong time and they are only serving food, I don't want a full blown meal, I want a cup of tea.

I think being able to sit down and drink tea is so good, I love the Middle East and Turkey for the same reason, you can always get tea, where ever you are.

I was once sat in a small office in a large court in Cairo, while it was incredibly hot, trying to explain that I had been a victim of a crime, not that I'd stolen something from a shop, whatever my crime reference number said, while a lawyer who happened to be passing kept telling me that I should just pay the fine, when a young boy came and sold us some tea, which I so appreciated at that point, as I was feeling quite exasperated. I remember the tea more than anything else.

In America I spent a lot of time trying to explain that the water had to be boiling, and lukewarm water just wouldn't do, it was clear people thought I was bonkers, which I probably am, but I'm still right about boiling water for tea.
Sunday 1 February 2009 7.10pm
I heard about Ritz teas, but I haven't been myself. I bought a little tea box from Fortnum they other day - it was 2 scones, a tiny little jam and a little cream. Couldn't resist the temptation to try it once I saw it. Have to say it was delicious, and I only wish Fortnums wasn't so far away.

And Buenos Aires... still on the 'to visit' list. The cafe you describe sounds great!

Zoe, I lived in New York last year, and you're right - they have no idea how to make tea! I was quite surprised at that also, it's hardly a secret family recipe...
Monday 2 February 2009 12.39am
yulia.i wrote:
Which do you prefer?
Given the choice between a tea shop and a coffee shop, which would you go to and why?

It's a no-brainer for me, just the smell of tea makes me slightly nauseous.
I vividly recall an incident years back when, engrossed in a newpaper in a café I reached for my coffee without taking my eyes from the page and inadvertently picked up a friend's tea and took a sip. I immediately spat it back in the cup and had to apologise profusely to my friend and the café proprietor. I shudder when I recall that incident.
I drink filtered Dutch coffee at home or put up a pot of percolated strong French coffee if I want to chill out and take my time.
It's an individual thing I guess, tomatoes look lovely, I wish I liked them, but I dislike their taste so they are a no-no. Conversely I love escargot and octopus, but some people would rather eat their first born than give them a try.
Monday 2 February 2009 12.45am
did you always dislike tea?

I have to say, you are probably the only person I ever heard talk about disliking tea. I know people who don't enjoy hot drinks in general, and therefore dont drink tea OR coffee... but I never heard of disliking teh actual taste and smell of tea. Fascinating!
Monday 2 February 2009 11.48am
perfect day for tea i think :)
Monday 2 February 2009 1.05pm
I like both, no real preference, but it does depend on the time of day, don't generally have coffee after 5 ish, unless it's after a meal.

I remember a coffee shop in Norwich, which did great muffins, and I think it was US or Canadian themed, and I saw one lady complain about her tea, and walk out. It was basically a large bowl of lukewarm water, with a saucer on top, and the tea bag separate. She was really annoyed, she said she'd never seen anything like it in her life, and that she came to a cafe so that she didn't have to make the tea herself.
Zoe
Monday 2 February 2009 3.29pm
Then it was appropiate that it was US/Canadian themed, if it made tea like that!

I can relate to what Tom Pepper says, I have accidently drunk coffee and wanted to be sick it was that disgusting, they must both be acquired tastes.
Monday 2 February 2009 10.14pm
[quote yulia.i]did you always dislike tea?

I have to say, you are probably the only person I ever heard talk about disliking tea.

I cannot ever remember drinking tea, but in the interest of getting to the facts I asked my mother.

She said, "I used to pour a drop in a saucer when you were little and try to get you to drink it, but you always wrinkled your nose up or made a face."
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions