London SE1 community website

Internet Theft

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 19 February 2004 1.52pm
Does anyone know who I can go to if I have paid money, and subsequently do not recieve goods/services ordered on the net?

Can I involve the police?
Thursday 19 February 2004 1.57pm
Have you called your credit card company? I had THREE Dell laptops go "missing" in the post, and in the end just called my credit card company who refunded my money, and then took it up with Dell.
Thursday 19 February 2004 2.03pm
Problem is that one item I returned because it was faulty, expecting to get a replacement at the end of Jan, but it hasn't happened, despite the fact I've been ringing and mailing like mad. I can't be doing with crap companies, so I want a refund. Can I get hold of the company? Nooooo....

Second thing I've got problems with is a music download. Bought a track, the license for it didn't download, and despite having spoken to the offending company on a number of occasions, I am still without my track.

Both have charged, but I'm not sure it's as easy as reporting them missing because of the circumstances...
Thursday 19 February 2004 2.09pm
Speak to your card issuer asap. They may recommend cancelling your account.

The Met doesn't seem to have up to date advice.

Internet Fraud Watch

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center is a US federal body.
Thursday 19 February 2004 2.30pm

If you've paid on a credit card, the card issuer has in effect supplied the money to the supplier. In law, they are then equally liable for the debt. In reality, they normally just give it you back and then sort it themselves.
Friday 20 February 2004 5.09pm
Maybe it's all stockpiled down at Mandela Way Sorting office.....
Thursday 26 February 2004 4.49pm
James, if the item cost 100 or over, you are protected under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 75.
< oft303.pdf >

I once paid on a credit card to hire a van for the weekend to move house. The van hire place was a right dodgy outfit, the van broke down, wasn't covered by the AA as they had claimed it was, and to cap it all I was arrested for driving without a valid tax disc (I didn't think to check it was valid when hiring it, as you don't really expect to have to do this).
Had to have a bit of a row with my credit card provider, as at first they said there wasn't a breach of contract as I had used the van. I pointed out that is wasn't fit for the purpose described (i.e. it couldn't be driven legally on a public highway) -- I wrote to the credit card provider quoting the Consumer Credit Act, and they agreed to put the amount in dispute and pursue the van hire company themselves. On the advice of Tower Hamlets Trading Standards office, I also claimed 50 for distress and inconvenience, which the credit card provider recouped for me along with the full amount I paid for the van. I even got a badly written letter of apology from the van hire company.

I had phoned the van company several times myself but was totally fobbed off and shouted at etc etc, so it was definitely worth passing the responsibility to the credit grantor, who, I believe can threaten a company with having their credit card privileges removed.
Friday 27 February 2004 8.57am
Thanks Rach - I'm hoping I don't have to pursue that line of enquiry, but it may well come down to it.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions