London SE1 community website

EU

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 22 October 2018 9.16pm
I do not recall all these demos against forced entry by Ted Heath 1973 or the referendum voting to go in ...of course there were none as the NO side accepted the decision with grace which is more than can be said for this wondrous ly entitled Intelligent Metropolitan Elite etc...

Cotswolds 12
Saturday 27 October 2018 11.59pm
Paramount wrote:
I do not recall all these demos against forced entry by Ted Heath 1973 or the referendum voting to go in ...of course there were none as the NO side accepted the decision with grace which is more than can be said for this wondrous ly entitled Intelligent Metropolitan Elite etc...

I am not, repeat NOT, trying to stir the pot here, but with my selective memory, (according to the nutty redhead that is my wife), I vaguely recall that Ted Heath asked, suggested, coerced, that we join the Common Market, NOT the European Union in 1973.
I stand ready to be shot down, if I have that wrong.
As I recall, in the referendum of 2016, (I think), we were asked to vote on whether to Leave or Remain, in the E.U.
I voted to Remain, I had my reasons, but the Leavers won.
I’m not happy about that, I think that it was a mistake, but I’m nothing if not democratic.
The people have spoken, they’re misguided IMO, but they’re in the majority, so out we go, just don’t come crying to me when it comes back to bite you in the rear.
According to my elder son, a German resident of around 30 years, “This will come back, and bite U.K.s bum big time, Dad, but you’ll always have a place in my barn, Ich werde dich immer lieben.”
Saturday 5 January 2019 12.57pm
I believe you're right regarding the Ted Heath and the Common Market. Unless we're both wrong. I always believed that would be a great situation to be in.
Thursday 10 January 2019 2.36pm
We have been out of the market/union for many years so 45 years is a fleabite in that respect.
Apologies it was Common Market originally. That's all it was ever meant to be.. I believe

Cotswolds 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions