If you have read (with awe and wonder) the various threads and reports over the last year or so of the SE1 cider making venture, and would like to join us this year - this is the thread for you. Last year was our first effort and we made lots of new friends along the way.
You do not need to have any experience, or ever have been to an SE1 social, or even posted on this site before. You may, however, need a silly cider making hat...
We need to get a sense of how many people are interesting in giving up a weekend or more in November to press cider apples and how much cider they would like to make (in gallons). If you are interested, please let us know by answering the following questions:
1) Do you want to make cider in November 2005 ?
2) Can you give up an entire weekend or part of a weekend to spend pressing at the Surrey Docks Farm ?
3) How much apple juice would you ideally like to take away with you ?
4) Would you rather contribute in some other way (we may need kitchen hands, drivers, press and apple tranporters etc) ?
5) Do you have a silly cider making hat (see last year's photos)?
6) Do you want to make perry and if so, would you be willing to do a seperate pressing weekend outside of SE1 ?
[Mr Hatts, is there any prospect that we could sticky this, just for a few days, to keep it from getting lost in the general cider talk ?]
Edited 4 times. Last edit at 30 August 2005 11.09am by James Hatts.
2) Yes. And unless something very strange happens I can take a day off on Friday/Monday
3) At least 30 gallons please.
4) Very happy to get presses/apples/whatever. I did the presses last year, and would do them again (but would also like to get apples for a change perhaps?)
5) working on it. it'll be there by November
6) Yes, I'd like to do perry. I have other ideas about how we might do it (other than going away to do a pressing), but let's talk about that next time we meet and keep this thread simple.
I'm in for same amounts and duties as last year. Quite happy to organise a van and drive it to where ever it needs to go. Last year we took away about 14 gallons. If this is feasible I'd like to have the same again. I guess amounts will be dictated by the number are participants.
I have extra hats if anyone find themselves struggle with this part of the deal.
Am available all weekend, am happy to pick, pack, transport or whaterver. I'd like to make 7 gallons of Cider and 3 ish (depending on size of fermenter available) of Perry.
Can we ask Emma about the pizza oven this year?
Tell us when in November. I will have to go to Chicago sometime that month, but the Professor will be around and maybe both of us. And anyway he's the consumer of the cider so it follows that he should contribute to its manufacture.