London SE1 community website

general legal question--help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 3 November 2005 2.19pm
My daughters ex-husband agreed to sign over their little house to my daughter in place of maintenance for her and my grand-daughter so the house could not be repossessed by the creditors ( my ex-son in law ran up bills of 45 thous.without my daughter knowing!) My daughter borrowed the money almost a thousand pounds to pay the legal cost. Her husband finally signed the forms went to court etc., then the Royal Bank of scotland told my daughter that the document was worded incorrectly. My daughters solicitor admitted the wording was wrong, but now my ex son in law has changed his mind about signing! would the amended document stand up in court? could my daughter get the 1000 back? can any one advise, my daughter lives in derbyshire so I just cant pop around to help her...:-(
Friday 4 November 2005 2.45pm
I suggest ringing/visiting CAB. They're used to dealing with this sort of problem. Make sure you have all the information to hand.

Was the making over of the house to your daughter ordered by the courts?

Friday 4 November 2005 7.30pm
Oh Jan this sounds awful. I am not a lawyer, so can only offer sympathy.

As Mapmaker suggests, can she then also threaten to go back to the starting point and go to court and demand the house and maintenance.
Tuesday 8 November 2005 8.47am

You must speak to the Law Society - they will be able to offer assistance. I obviously don't know all the facts, but it sounds like which solicitor worded the contract is negligent and you have a possible claim against him/her. See how you get on with the Law Society and PM if need any further assistance.

Wednesday 9 November 2005 8.31am
Thank you evry one...Mapmaker I dont think it was ordered by the courts, i think solicitor suggested it as an option to enable them to stay in house, they had to go in front of a judge etc.,
Monday 14 November 2005 1.54pm
Hello there,

Check out the Community Law Service at they can offer free legal advice online, and refer you to a legal service.

Good luck,

Monday 14 November 2005 6.48pm
Thank you Micky, :-)
Monday 21 November 2005 3.04pm
Tell your daughter to get a new solicitor at once, someone who specialises in family law. The solicitor she has sounds pretty inept. She should have been able to get legal aid by the sounds of things. Was this suggested to her?
Tuesday 22 November 2005 12.02pm
I told her that Rose....she said legal aid did not cover the initial bit...I'll have to remind myself what she said.....

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions