London SE1 community website

Junk mail

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 April 2007 10.16am
I receive loads of letters from all kinds of companies with invitations for credit cards, wine clubs and other things I don't want. Since I am moving abroad next month, I am trying stop this. For months I have been returning these letters to sender, but to no avail. Does anyone know if there is a way of stopping this?
Wednesday 4 April 2007 10.24am
The Mailing Preference Service may be able to help.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/
Wednesday 4 April 2007 11.34am
The MPS is brilliant - I signed up ages ago and get hardly any junk mail at all now.
Wednesday 4 April 2007 1.33pm
I'd second that - it's brilliant. Never got anything ever again (fingers crossed)
Wednesday 4 April 2007 2.26pm
Thanks from me too about this, I've registered at once. When I'm away the junk mail mounts to the ceiling.
Wednesday 4 April 2007 2.50pm
Thanks indeed! I have registered immediately. One worry less!
Wednesday 4 April 2007 3.46pm
There's the telephone preference svce as well, although that seems to only last a few years. It worked well for me, when I did it 2 or 3 yrs ago, but the incidence of junk calls is rising now (so maybe I just need to register again).

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 4 April 2007 4.46pm
What I find helps agains junk calls is tell them your number is registered, and hence their call will be reported as a nuisance call. Worked wonders.
Thursday 5 April 2007 8.09am
Yes, I agree. I'd prefer that they didn't call at all, though.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 5 April 2007 11.19am
Ivanhoe - are your junk calls from the UK or from overseas? When I registered with the tps, I stopped getting UK based marketing calls almost straight away, but started getting loads of marketing calls from overseas. But I haven't had any of those for ages now, either.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions