London SE1 community website

Looking for property to buy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 28 October 2004 9.28am
Hello All

I am a new comer to this area and am looking to buy a ex-local authority flat with 2 bedrooms within a maximum of 10 minutes walking distance to any of the tubes such as Oval, kennington, Elephant and Castle, Borough. It really looks like a great area and am keen to move in. That great direct access to London City. I have already had a look at 5 properties, my two favourites so far were in Bath Terrace and Bronti Close. I can spend up to 175,000.

So if you know of any through agents, or being sold privately let me know, and I don't mind redecorating!

Fiona

Thursday 28 October 2004 10.25am
www.findaproperty.com is a great site.

Also, you need to be careful about mortgages for Local Authority places, some lenders will not lend on high-rise flats. Maybe good to check in advance of making an offer.
Thursday 28 October 2004 10.36am
Thats right. Most require the building to be under 4 stories high and have a minimum 25% privately owned
Thursday 28 October 2004 11.48am
Best of luck Fiona.

Most lenders will happily lend finance ex-local authority. It is true that they do sometimes have conditions, but I know of no-one who has had a problem getting a good mortgage - borrowing enough can be a problem though :o) Most ex-local here is really good value compared to what you get for new-build and it can also be of sturdier construction quality.

Make sure you really like the area - visit during the day and at night-time. You may want to rent in the area first for a year or two to really get to know it?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 28 October 2004 11.51am by red bus.
Thursday 28 October 2004 2.00pm
Hello Fiona, I used to live in Bath Terrace and really liked it there. Good luck.
Friday 29 October 2004 11.22am
I believe that the restrictions placed by mortgage lenders on high rise or concrete constructed ex-LA properties are mainly limited to first time buyers.
JSG
Friday 29 October 2004 3.11pm
Dear Fiona
I am looking to sell my 2 bed ex-local authority flat for about that sum. I have been procrastinating terribly as it needs a lot of decorating and I have decided that I'm missing out on the interior designer gene. I have not yet gone to estate agents re valuations etc. but want to move 'up' within the area as I've had a big promotion.

It is in a little estate off Long Lane - third and fourth floor (top) maisonette - just opposite the big new 'city walk' development. Nice (quiet) neighbours.

If you are interested send me a private message (can you do that?)
Jim
Monday 1 November 2004 9.18am
Hi JSG

Hope this does get directly through to yourself. If so can you send contact details back to me. email [email protected], this is my general email address.

Regards

Fiona
Thursday 4 November 2004 1.02pm
Have already worked in Elephant and Castle for 6-9 months. I also like spending time at South Bank. Luckily I have spent 2 weekends so far just looking around the area on my bicycle. It has been a great way to see the area and I have been really pleasantly surprised. I am not in a mad panic, just looking and waiting for the right place.

Fiona
Thursday 4 November 2004 3.26pm
Try looking at the estate agents at the Kennington end of Kennngton Road - they frequently have Borough/Bermondsey ex-LA stuff - we found ours down there - can't remember that particular agents name though - good luck!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions