Fixed term contract
The Marketing Manager contributes to Better Bankside’s aim of making Bankside the ‘best neighbourhood in the world’ by managing and delivering a programme of activities that raise the profile of Bankside. This includes promoting the area’s attractions, events venues and festivals to a global audience and raising awareness of Bankside as a world class visitor destination.
The postholder plays a key role in organising Better Bankside’s public festivals and events, and in brand and communications activities.
The Marketing Manager has regular contact with partners including officers and members of Team London Bridge, Waterloo Quarter BID, South Bank Employers Group and London & Partners, as well as a range of tourism stakeholders.
Area Promotion and Bankside Venues
- Manage the Area Promotion and Bankside Venues programmes, representing the groups in formal contexts with organisations from both the private and public sectors.
- Implement and manage marketing, events and area promotion for Bankside, including coordinated online and print campaigns promoting Bankside as a key visitor and business destination, to increase the number of visitors to Bankside and to maximise their expenditure and dwell time in the area.
- Manage Bankside Venues, including organising regular venue showcases and attendance at exhibitions. Manage marketing materials, monthly newsletters and online presence.
- Undertake a range of events, promotions, research and evaluation projects including the production and distribution of new publications. Manage visitbankside.com and Banksidevenueslondon.com, the production of the monthly ‘What’s On’ newsletter, the annual ‘One Big Summer Guide’ and ‘Bankside Guide’ and the summer Infobike Tourist Information Service.
- Market and manage the free augmented reality app riversidelondonapp.com (50,000 downloads to date).
- Play a key role in coordinating tourism development activities within Bankside and ensure that links are maintained to other agencies that can affect tourism development.
- Evaluate the potential benefit of tourism in terms of income generation and employment opportunities for businesses and local residents through collection of footfall, hotel occupancy and other relevant data and through statistics available from other agencies.
- Monitor and evaluate visitor research results to assess the effectiveness of Better Bankside’s marketing activities and make findings available to Better Bankside members for their own purposes.
- Develop a schedule of familiarisation trips and briefings for media and London tourist information centre, hotel front-of-house, London & Partners and Visit Britain staff.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders in the area including Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, Borough Market and external partnerships.
- Support the lobbying process on behalf of Better Bankside to ensure that the area’s tourism and area interests are accounted for and that a consistent marketing profile is maintained.
Festivals and events
- Organise and market the annual one-day Bastille Festival celebration including liaising with brand sponsors.
- Key role in delivering Merge, Bankside’s annual month-long immersive arts festival, including Iiaising with the curator, high-profile partners and brand sponsors.
- Manage relations with external suppliers including festival producers, design agencies, printers and distributors.
- Deliver events and initiatives aimed at engaging local Bankside employees and maximising spend in the area, including the Buzz Card scheme (a local discount and offers card), monthly cultural led walks, pub quizzes and film nights.
Required education and experience
- Three years relevant post qualification work experience with a degree OR six years relevant work experience including destination marketing and organising public events. (Essential)
- Experience implementing marketing strategies comprising digital and printed collateral, websites and social media channels (Essential)
- Experience responding to opportunities to gain positive PR (Desirable)
- Experience of producing engaging electronic and printed marketing collateral (Essential)
- Experience line managing direct reports (Desirable)
- Experience of using customer relationship management databases and email marketing software to market activities, events and services (Desirable)
Required skills and competencies
- Impeccable written and oral communication skills with the ability to write creatively and adapt style for a range of publications and audiences. Able to communicate professionally and confidently to a range of business and public sector stakeholders (Essential)
- Project management, business planning and budget management skills (Essential)
- Ability to prioritise own workload and to work to tight deadlines (Essential)
- Interest in Bankside as an area to live, work and visit (Essential)
- Knowledge of Business Improvement Districts, local and central government and their structures and relationships (Desirable)
- Knowledge of issues facing tourism sector stakeholders, local resident and business communities in relation to redevelopment, regeneration and increasing visitor numbers (Desirable)
- Thorough and accurate with excellent attention to detail (Essential)
- Proactive and uses initiative (Essential)
- Confident user of MS Office (Essential)
- Awareness of equal opportunities and Health and Safety (Essential)
Better Bankside is a Business Improvement District (BID) in Southwark, London. Its job is to make Bankside a thriving place to work, live and visit. Better Bankside was formally established in 2005 and was the third BID in the UK and the second in London.
A Business Improvement District (BID) is an independent, business-owned and led company, which seeks to improve a given location for commercial activity. Better Bankside's members are the 600+ companies in the BID area (from Blackfriars in the west to London Bridge in the east, and south from the River as far as Great Suffolk Street and Borough Station) who pay its annual 'levy'. Many of these are heavily involved in the governance of the company.
To apply send
CV describing your relevant education and experience
Cover letter (no more than two pages) outlining why you are interested in the role and what you would bring to it
Completed equal opportunities form (this will not form part of the selection process)
To Rahima Begum at [email protected]. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is 9am on Monday 13th April 2015.
Interviews will take place during the week of 13th April 2015 (date tbc).
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up