£10.55 per hour
Part-time fixed contract
St George’s church is setting up a hub to increase the health, wellbeing and social inclusion of local residents with a particular focus on older isolated residents, those with low level mental health issues and low-income families. There will be four strands of work associated with the Hub:
1. A weekly free community café to build networks, combat isolation and offer basic help, advice and signposting as well as a foodbank
2. A community fridge which will recycle surplus food from local shops, restaurants and be available for local residents to take free of charge 5 days a week
3. Cookery courses for adults and children
4. Gardening activities to promote health and wellbeing
The community coordinator will have responsibility for the successful running of the community café and community fridge. Initially time will be spent in setting up and launching the community fridge. The role will then transition to include the running of the fridge and the café (from April).
• Preparation of community fridge including establishing processes for cleanliness and operation
• Preparing a welcoming area for the fridge to operate from
• Building links with local businesses and supermarkets
• Building links with local community through schools, libraries, homeless services, children’s centres, GPs etc
• Acting as point of liaison with Waterloo Foodbank and the Cathedral Foodbank volunteers
• Publicity for the fridge and organising a launch event
• Collecting food donations from supermarkets
• Maintaining cleanliness and checking logging of food in and out
• Volunteer recruitment, training and support
• Set up of café including tables, chairs and preparing coffee, tea
• Purchase of any additional food needed
• Providing a welcome for all visitors and signposting to other local services
• Managing the volunteers serving in the café
• Supervising clean up after café
The role will be 7 hours a week - initially split between 5 hours fridge and 2 hours café, transitioning to 4 hours café and 3 hours fridge from April onwards. Community café runs on Thursday afternoons from 2pm – 4pm, additional hours would be split across Monday – Wednesday with some flexibility in timings. Pay will be at London Living Wage (currently £10.55 per hour) with the option to join a pension scheme, holiday is 28 days per year pro rata. The post is initially for a fixed term of 1 year, with a hope to extend dependent on funding.
St George the Martyr Church is a Church of England church on Borough High Street.
Please send a letter of application to [email protected] detailing why you are interested in this role, why you think you would be a suitable candidate and the experience you have that you can bring to the role.
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up