£29,000 - £33,000 p.a. pro rata = £17,400 - £19,800 p.a
Hours: 21 per week flexible within core hours 9.30 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday to Friday.
Salary £29,000 - £33,000 p.a. pro rata = £17,400 - £19,800
We are looking for a self-starter with financial experience who will be responsible for managing our finances, processing invoices and payments and payroll, overseeing the finances for the development project and managing the budget and accounts process.
The Finance Officer will be responsible for assisting the Trustees of the Bridge at Waterloo and the Parochial Church Council (PCC) of St John’s Waterloo in executing their financial responsibilities, and providing financial services in order to ensure effective, efficient and accurate financial operations.
Closing date: 12 noon, Monday 30th September 2019
Interviews: Tuesday 15th or Wednesday 16th October.
1) Financial Coordination
• Assisting the Treasurer and Trustees in the development of a finance strategy, preparation of and monitoring of an annual budget, and the preparation of the Annual Accounts for audit.
• Assisting the Treasurer and Trustees in the preparation and monitoring of a 5-year Business Plan.
• Assisting the Church Treasurer and the PCC in the development of a finance strategy, preparation of and monitoring of an annual budget, and the preparation of the Annual Accounts for audit.
• Overseeing and monitoring income and expenditure for the ReIGNITE development project of St John’s Waterloo.
• Assisting the Committee in the monitoring of grants and provision of necessary information for grant funders.
• Working with the Development Officer to provide up to date information on donors and supporters
2) Financial Administration
a. As directed, prepare monthly reports of income and expenditure against budget for the Treasurers of the Bridge at Waterloo and the PCC
b. Attend meetings as required, preparing minutes and agendas and implementing decisions where directed to do so.
c. Maintain all relevant records and ensure finance protocols are observed at all times in accordance with best practice and data protection legislation:
• Accounts receivable: recording invoices for rentals and monitoring payments, prepayments and income and chasing late payments.
• Accounts payable: liaising with staff members and suppliers as necessary to ensure prompt payment
• Cash handling, banking, petty cash
• Assist with Gift Aid claims and accurately maintain Gift Aid records
• Issuing tenancy/licence agreements, receiving rent, implementing rent increases and monitor service charge make-up in relation to the parish’s church buildings, offices and flat
• Operate payroll, authorising monthly staff salary, wages and pension payments
• Identify and reconcile all transactions on the bank statements and all control accounts on a regular basis
d. Operate the accounts software (Sage and Excel) including accurate data entry and producing required reports
The Finance Officer will be part of the Bridge at Waterloo Staff Team, liaising with the Business Manager, Parish Administrator, Front of House team and external accountant and will also provide financial services for St John’s and St Andrew’s parish.
Qualifications – a relevant qualification within finance or accounting – at least AAT Level 4 - would be desirable.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience Required:
• Current awareness of IT developments and competent in their use
• Financial and Data Protection regulations
• Excellent IT skills including fast and accurate use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and accounting (Sage) databases
• Excellent communication skills
• Ability to handle challenges and prioritise, keeping calm under pressure
• Ability to prioritise work and to meet and manage work to tight deadlines
• At least three years experience of working with accounting software (ideally Sage), dealing with finance in a busy organisation and dealing with confidential matters
• Experience of financial and budgetary management
• Knowledge of working in the voluntary sector (desirable)
• Reliable and enthusiastic, with a positive approach to the work and colleagues and a willingness to undertake any administrative task
• Sympathy with the aims of the Church of England
The Bridge At Waterloo is based at St John’s Church, Waterloo – the church by the IMAX. We have a strong track record of delivering effective and creative projects through the arts, community and heritage. We host the Waterloo Festival and work closely with the arts institutions on the South Bank, and run learning and employment projects under the Digital Futures banner. We are also in the process of a major redevelopment of the church building - ReIGNITE.
St John’s Waterloo is a busy church throughout the week, hosting orchestras and arts organisations as well as having a thriving Sunday congregation. We have eleven part-time staff and two buildings.
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up