£45 - 50,000 p.a
Full time permanent
We want to make a step change impact on major health issues affecting people in the London boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark. In the process, we aim to learn about what works to enable support health in urban, diverse, and deprived communities, and use those lessons to have impact nationally and beyond.
Our team is one of our most important assets. We recruit carefully, to bring a diverse range of skills and perspectives into the team to complement and enhance how we work. We invest in continued learning and development of all staff, through formal and information channels. We are a values-led organisation: enterprising, collaborative and delivery minded. We work hard to ensure our culture is welcoming, supportive, inclusive and motivating and our ways of working equitable and flexible.
We are looking for an HR Manager to join our Resources team. This is a new role, starting the process of increasing the capacity and capability of our HR function and enabling us to take a more proactive and planned approach to people matters.
We have expanded over the last few years to enable us to reach our strategic goals, growing from 30 to 85 members of staff over two years. As we look ahead, continued growth and organisational evolution are likely as we strive to maintain momentum and achieve impact while keeping our people centred approach to HR matters.
It is an exciting time for HR at the Charity as we are currently developing a People Strategy for the next 5 years with an external partner, reflecting on and considering the current operating environment and how we have adapted to virtual working in the short term and the opportunities this presents for an increase in virtual and flexible working longer term. This role will be the day-to-day liaison for that partnership as well as helping implement recommendations that come from the strategy.
The HR Manager is one of the Resources team of eight that provides support across the Charity.
The purpose of the role is to provide HR advice to the Executive Team and line managers with an emphasis on resourcing and HR policy and to ensure the effective delivery of HR best practice, policies, and procedures. The role will also work, in conjunction with the Head of Resources, to develop the HR function to enable business effectiveness.
The role is manages the HR function on a day-to-day basis including line management of the HR Administrator. A priority will be looking at developing and expanding the HR team as required to facilitate the growth needs of the organisation in line with the People Strategy: for example, bringing in Learning and Development expertise in order to embed a comprehensive and consistent approach to Learning and Development across the organisation, and Talent Acquisition expertise, focusing on ensuring our recruitment practices are inclusive and equitable and help the organisation realise our ambitious plans to introduce a programme of apprenticeships and internships for people from our place.
Head of Resources
Strengthen and improve
• Work across the employee lifecycle to develop a best-in-class employee experience informed by the appropriate policies and processes.
• Contribute to the Charity’s strategic approach to DEI (working with the DEI Lead) and work to actively embed practices which promote diversity, equity, and inclusion across the Charity’s approach to people and HR processes.
• Advise the Executive Team on HR policy and make sure that the Charity’s policies are fit for purpose, comply with current legislation, reflect best practice, and help to develop the desired culture of inclusion and momentum across the organisation.
• Work with the Head of Resources to ensure that the compensation structure is suitable for the organisation, provides value for money, attracts the right candidates and is motivational for employees and review this with external and internal benchmarking on a regular basis.
• Liaise with our People Strategy partners to ensure that we have a strategy which meets the needs of the Charity in the short, medium, and long term.
• Work with the HR Team, the wider organisation and external partners to implement the new People Strategy.
Advise, manage and support
• Recruit and line manage the HR team including objective setting, reviews, personal development, etc to ensure efficiency and high levels of performance
• Ensure the HR team are skilled, knowledgeable and operating in a business partnership model.
• Act as a point of contact for employees to discuss confidential matters or grievances.
• Advise on, and be involved in, the management of Employee Relations issues – liaising with line managers, Executive Team, and relevant legal advisors to make sure that The Charity’s reputation and interests are protected at all times.
• Foster a positive working environment for all people working at the Charity.
Systems and process
• Strengthen processes across the HR function such as new starters, onboarding, diversity reporting, etc.
• Collate and process payroll accurately and promptly each month.
• Work with the finance team and our pension advisors to administer the pension schemes for the Charity and ensure staff are kept up to date with relevant and helpful information regarding their pension options.
Knowledge and qualifications
• Sound knowledge of employment legislation and its application
• Strong understanding of key DEI concepts and the impact HR can have in embedding an inclusive and equitable approach
• CIPD qualified
• Thorough knowledge of key human resources processes (recruitment, induction, performance and salary reviews etc) and best practice for those.
• Computer proficiency and including ability to analyse and report on HR information
Experience: proven track record and measurable results in
• Performing a generalist HR role (across the whole or majority of the employee lifecycle) at a mid-to-senior level;
• Implementing change and improvement within HR function and processes;
• Implementing and supporting change management, restructures and organisational design
• Incorporating DEI concepts into HR practice and process; delivering impact to DEI in the wider organisation
• Providing HR advice at a senior management level
• Managing employee relations and related processes
• Line management
• Using the Microsoft Office suite with a high degree of competency
• Managing multiple concurrent workstreams
• Designing and running staff feedback processes
Skills, abilities, and attributes
• Excellent interpersonal skills and effective communications skills (including presentation skills) with a high degree of cross-cultural sensitivity
• The ability to influence stakeholders at all levels.
• Tact, diplomacy, and discretion
• Common sense, ability to use own initiative and good at problem solving
• Pragmatic, proactive and solutions driven
• Dynamic self-starter who can prioritise and work under pressure
• Effective team-worker
We’re an independent urban health foundation. We work with Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust and others to improve health in the London boroughs of Lambeth and Southwark, and beyond.
Please visit our website for a full job pack and application information - https://www.gsttcharity.org.uk/content/human-resources-hr-manager
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up