London SE1 community website

Bakerloo line extension dropped from TfL’s Government wish list

London SE1 website team

Plans to extend the Bakerloo line from Elephant & Castle to Lewisham and beyond - via the Old Kent Road - have been put on the back-burner by Transport for London.

Bakerloo line extension dropped from TfL’s Government wish list
A seasonal #backthebakerloo message displayed on a big screen at Southwark Council's Tooley Street offices last December.

The Bakerloo line extension has been omitted from TfL's wish list to be submitted to the Government for consideration as part of the forthcoming comprehensive spending review.

In the introduction to its CSR submission, TfL says: "We are being realistic about what is affordable over the next decade.

"Very large projects from the Mayor's Transport Strategy, particularly Crossrail 2 and Bakerloo line extension, are still relevant and aligned to the Department for Transport's decarbonisation plan.

"However, given current affordability constraints, our immediate priority for these is safeguarding, although they are still likely to be needed in the future to support long-term growth and modal shift in London."

Earlier this month former Southwark Council leader Peter John said that he had met new TfL commissioner Andy Byford who had been supportive of the Bakerloo line extension proposals.

News that TfL is not even asking for Government funding for the Bakerloo line extension will come as a blow to Southwark Council's regeneration ambitions for the Old Kent Road.

The limitations of existing public transport in the area means that only 9,000 of the 25,000 new homes planned for the Old Kent Road area can be built unless or until the tube link is in place.

As part of the CSR submission TfL is seeking Government support to replace the 48-year-old Bakerloo line train fleet for the existing service between Elephant & Castle and Harrow & Wealdstone.

Provision of a new fleet was previously intended to be linked to the extension project.

TfL is also asking the Government to fund a new, larger, fleet of trains for the Jubilee line to ease overcrowding. The existing trains would be transferred to the Northern line to boost capacity.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.