London SE1 community website

Lunchtime fire drama at Ev restaurant in Southwark’s Isabella Street

London SE1 website team

Diners at restaurants in Isabella Street had their lunch disrupted on Monday when ventilation ducting at Ev restaurant caught fire.

Lunchtime fire drama at Ev restaurant in Southwark’s Isabella Street

The London Fire Brigade was called at 12.50pm to reports of smoke coming from the roof of a restaurant on Joan Street.

Four fire engines and approximately 20 firefighters tackled the blaze. A ventilation duct from the ground floor to the roof of the restaurant is thought to have caught fire.

Although Ev, Jack's Lounge and Thai Silk were all evacuated, some diners continued to enjoy their meals in the open air on Isabella Street despite the drama around them.

Dozens of BT Openreach staff were evacuated from the Colombo House telephone exchange and congregated at Hatfields Green.

The Blackfriars Road post office was also closed to the public because of the fire alert.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.