London SE1 community website

London Bridge attack: Met to seek extra funds from Home Office

London SE1 website team

The Metropolitan Police is applying to the Home Office for extra cash to help meet the cost of dealing with the aftermath of the London Bridge terrorist attack - said to be around £10 million.

London Bridge attack: Met to seek extra funds from Home Office

Responding to a question from shadow policing minister Louise Haigh MP, Home Office minister Nick Hurd MP told the Commons last week: "The Metropolitan Police are currently preparing an application for special grant to support the financial consequences of the terrorist attacks at Westminster and London Bridge."

Last month a London Assembly report put the cost of the extra policing after the 3 June attack at Borough Market as 10 million.

News that the Met is seeking extra help to meet the cost of dealing with the terrorist attack – which killed eight people – comes as several police officers have received awards and honours for their responses to the incident.

PC Charlie Guenigault of Southwark Police and PC Wayne Marques of the British Transport Police were honoured at the recent Pride of Britain Awards.

"It was an honour to present a Pride of Britain award to PC Wayne Marques," said Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn. "His courage in the London Bridge attack represents the best of humanity."

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
This article on a map
Map
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Archive
News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.