London SE1 community website

'Dangerous predator' pleads guilty to rape and kidnap in Borough

London SE1 website team

A man described by police as a 'dangerous predator' has pleaded guilty to rape and kidnap in relation to incidents in Great Dover Street and Borough High Street.

Wilfred Marodza
Wilfred Marodza

28-year-old Wilfred Marodza, from Eastbourne, pleaded guilty at Inner London Crown Court on Monday to four counts of rape, one count of kidnap in relation to the second incident, and one count of committing an offence with intent to commit a sexual offence.

He pleaded not guilty to one count of kidnap in relation to the first incident. This was left to lie on file.

He will be sentenced on Friday 11 October.

The court heard that in the first incident the victim, a 21-year-old woman, was walking home after a night out along Great Dover Street at around 2.37am on Saturday 20 July, when she was approached from behind by an unknown male and marched to a nearby wooded area.

She was then threatened and raped multiple times by the suspect.

The victim managed to escape and ran, fearing for her life, to a nearby street. A passing motorist stopped and the suspect claimed that they were having a domestic argument.

The victim got into the motorist's car and was taken to a local police station.

So traumatised and desperate to get to safety was she that she ran into an adjacent fast food restaurant, where staff called police.

Just an hour later, a 25-year-old woman was waiting at a bus stop in Borough High Street.

A man approached her and began speaking to her offering to escort her to a nearby cab office.

The victim began walking with the man before he grabbed her and pulled her into a side street, where he threatened the victim to do as she was told, pushing her to the ground before the victim managed to scream, and the suspect then fled.

Police launched an immediate investigation and Marodza was identified and arrested that same day.

He was charged on Wednesday 24 July and remanded in custody.

Mobile phone and CCTV evidence linked him to the offences. He answered 'no comment' during interviews for both offences.

Detective Constable Jonny Norman said: "These two young women were subjected to ordeals that no person should ever have to endure.

"Marodza is a dangerous predator whose actions left both victims in fear of their lives.

"Marodza will now, I hope, face a substantial amount of time behind bars, and I am sure London will be all the safer for it.

"I would like to thank the investigative team who worked tirelessly to track and arrest Marodza. Most importantly I would like to thank the victims, whose bravery and courage in supporting our investigation has been instrumental.

"I hope that, in time, this will allow them some form of closure and that they can begin to move on with their lives."

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.