London SE1 community website

Lyle Tulloch murder: two teenagers found guilty of Harper Road stabbing

London SE1 website team

Two teenagers have this week been found guilty of the murder of 15-year-old Lyle Tulloch, who was stabbed in May at a party at Newall House on the Rockingham Estate.

Newall House SE1
Peckham boy Lyle Tulloch (inset) was killed at Newall House on Harper Road SE1
Damien Solobowale and Tobi Peters
Guilty: Damien Solobowale and Tobi Peters

Damien Solobowale, 18, from Gypsy Hill and Tobi Peters, 17, of Deptford were found guilty at the Old Bailey following a four-week trial. They will be sentenced on Wednesday 10 December.

"This is another tragic example of what can happen when knives are used to settle arguments," says Detective Inspector David Willis.

"Lyle's family and friends have been devastated by his senseless murder and I hope these successful convictions can bring some peace to them. Unfortunately as long as young people do not heed the lessons of cases such as this there will be more families like Lyle's.

"Crucial to securing these convictions has been the extensive support we received from the Southwark community in general. In particular this came from the young people who had the courage and strength to not only give statements at the time, but then come to court and help Lyle's family get justice.

"This case also demonstrates that as well as prosecuting anyone found in possession of a knife, we will in cases of murder seek to prosecute all those involved under joint enterprise. This places the responsibility on groups of friends to use peer pressure on those that use or carry knives."

Lyle, who was not a member of any gang, was stabbed thirteen times at approximately 1.40am on 3 May 2008 after an argument at a party he was at with friends in Newall House at the corner of Harper Road and Bath Terrace on Southwark's Rockingham Estate.

During the evening one of Lyle's friends asked to use a mobile phone that belonged to Solobowale. After using the phone Solobowale became angry when he could not find it and an argument with Lyle's friend started.

The phone has never been recovered.

Lyle became involved and the group moved out of the flat and onto the landing where the argument continued. Solobowale produced a knife he had concealed up his sleeve and approached Lyle pointing it at him and trying to pat him down with his free hand.

Lyle backed off and then tried to run away, but as he reached the stairwell he was stabbed in the chest and thigh.

An ambulance crew and police officers attended and first aid was given, but Lyle was pronounced dead at the scene a short time later.

Witnesses told officers that they had seen both Solobowale and Peters with a knife during the course of the argument and that both ran away from the scene after the murder.

It is believed that the knife was taken from the kitchen as the argument developed.

Solobowale was arrested two days later at the home of Peters, and Peters was arrested on the following day.

Officers subsequently recovered a number of forensically significant items. These included trainers from Solobowale with Lyle's blood on them and a green hooded top with traces of Lyle's blood similar to that which witnesses say Peters was wearing that night.

The SE1 website is supported by people like you
Related forum discussions
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

News archive from February 1999 to January 2001
Got a story for us?
Contact us with your tip-offs and story ideas.