Team London Bridge has announced the 10 projects in North Southwark to receive backing from the £15,000 Building Communities Fund supported by local businesses.
28 applications from groups in SE1, SE17 and SE16 were whittled down to 10 successful projects by the Team London Bridge Business Improvement District (BID).
The chosen projects included providing social, Capoeira classes aimed at enhancing the well-being of carers in north Southwark, drama-based workshops helping children make the transition to secondary school, empowering young people through judo, day care services for older residents, and helping people grow and prepare their own fruit and vegetables in Rotherhithe. All of which will be delivered within the next 12 months.
Brenda Wade of Stones End Day Centre said: "Through the project our older people have felt more empowered having received a tailored service. This project allows members to further retain their dignity and maintain positive self-esteem."
The 10 funded projects:
• Aluaie Capoeira UK – Carer's Well-being Project
• Bede Youth Adventure Project – [email protected]
• Edible Avondale – Walking Words
• Family Holiday Association – Southwark Family Breaks
• Futures Theatre – Underwater Love
• Half Moon Theatre – Transitions
• Manor Estate TRA – Street Manors – Community Judo Sessions
• Southwark Park Cricket Club – Kids Cricket Programme
• Stones End Day Centre – Positive Ageing
• Time and Talents – Growing food, friendships and fun!
For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.
7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?
Read the latest issue before signing up